Friday, August 15, 2008

90's Pop Week: Nsync is Here to Make You People Scream

Nostalgia:

For those of you who don't know me, 'Nsync is by far my favorite 90's Pop act. When I was probably 12-16, I had an entire room, in my house, dedicated to 'Nsync...an extended shrine if you will. We had an open room so I put all of my 'Nsync stuff in there. I am talking an 'Nsync bouncy ball, chair, the 6' Marionettes that I waited in line at 4 am in NYC for, concert tickets, bobble heads, pictures...the list really goes on. One day when I returned from boarding school (Hill Dear Old Hill), I found that my mother had packed my shrine away in boxes to turn the room into......my cat's room! What?! Yes, my cat has a room- but beyond that, why is his room my former 'Nsync shrine. That was one of the toughest days of my life.


A few years later, I got word from the official 'Nsync fan club that Joey Fatone would be in a production of RENT. At
that point, I only knew that RENT was a Broadway play but if Joey Fatone was going to be in it, Ashley Bradley was going to see it. So, I got tickets for the show (he was pretty sweet) and at the end of the performance they announced that he would be signing autographs! What?! So yes, I met Joey Fatone, the picture is in my room now (as a part of my mini shrine)...I will have to scan it one day.

Another good 'Nsync moment: Remember the move On The Line? That was the best movie ever...I don't care what you say. I own it and still watch it, to this day.
I used to have an "'Nsync" lecture, in which I went through their entire history...and get this, people paid to hear it. I know, I was a crazy young child but now onto some 'Nsync content I don't even know how to begin...maybe we'll start with the discography
  1. 'Nsync (Germany- yes, it's a different CD and I have the import)
  2. *Nsync (USA)
  3. Home For Christmas (This seriously never gets old!!!)
  4. The Winter Album (waste of money)
  5. No Strings Attached
  6. Celebrity
After the break: Justified (Justin), Schizophrenia ( JC), Future Sex/ Love Sounds (Justin) I know I am a little bias, but I truly feel that all of these CD's (including the solo releases) were amazing, with the exception of The Winter Album. It's not that The Winter album is particularly bad, it's just that it has no new songs...so what's the point?

Now, I found it funny how much
'Nsync's lyrics had changed by their last album, Celebrity. Sure, they were semi sexual before, on songs such as Digital Getdown (yes, a song about Cyber Sex). But Celebrity took things to a whole new level- not only were they more sexual, but they also became thugs in the process:

"If I didn't have cheese like everyday"
"The Ice around my neck"
"You know we don't care at all- let me see you up against the wall"
"We started grindin' shorty had me up against the wall/ Ask me about tomorrow you know that I don't care at all"

I really feel like I can't make an 'Nsync playlist because I really like all of their music so it would be like 80 songs long. So instead, I am making two 'Nsync Essentials Lists. One of singles and one of my favorite songs that didn't make the radio

Singles Essentials:
  1. Tearin' Up My Heart
  2. Here We Go
  3. God Must Have Spent A Little More Time On You (my first slow dance)
  4. I Want You Back
  5. Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays....haha PLEASE watch this video here sooo low budget, plus Gary Coleman
  6. Bye Bye Bye (reminds me of middle school dances)
  7. It's Gonna Be Me
  8. This I Promise You
  9. Pop
  10. Girlfriend
  11. Gone
Ashley's Essentials:
  1. For The Girl Who Has Everything
  2. Best of My Life
  3. Crazy For You
  4. Love's In Our Hearts On Christmas Day
  5. Kiss Me At Midnight
  6. I Never Knew The Meaning Of Christmas
  7. It Makes Me Ill
  8. No Strings Attached
  9. I Thought She Knew
  10. Celebrity
  11. The Two Of Us
  12. Something Like You (one of my many wedding songs)
  13. Selfish
Before (1997)

After (2001)
And Now, my favorite 'Nsync Music Video: I Drive Myself Crazy



Well, not quite- but it is pretty funny. If the video itself wasn't ridiculous enough, check the hair and acting...oh, good times

And, if you check at 2:41, you should have known Lance as gay all along. That brings me to another story...Approx 1999, I told everyone that Lance was gay...and that means a lot coming from an 'Nsync fan but no one believed me...

Alright...that wasn't the best evidence that they were a good group, so now for a more respectable video. I really do think this was one of the best pop videos of the 90's. The dance was sweet, and the video itself was pretty high quality (compared to Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays , at least)

No comments: