Tuesday, August 12, 2008

90's Pop Week: Christina Aguilera

As with Ricky Martin, it wasn't until I began listening to Xtina again that I remembered why she was so great. Now, I know some people will be upset with me for saying this, but of all of the 90's pop acts, I think Christina is the only one with raw talent. As a matter of fact, when I found younger, I listened to Christina, but I can't say that I was really a fan. But, as I have been listening to 90's pop the last week, she has surfaced as one of my favorites. Remember that Lady Marmalade video song? Craziness. Anyway...let's get to the good stuff.

Despite the longevity of her career, Aguilera only released three studio albums: Christina Aguilera (1999), Stripped (2002), Back to Basics (2006). Over the course of these albums, her look has changed drastically, as noted in the album covers below.

Christina Aguilera


Stripped

Back to Basics


Like fellow 90's sweethearts Justin Timberlake, Britney Spears and JC Chasez, Aguilera got her start on the Mickey Mouse Club, after losing a competition on Star Search. Little known fact: her first recording with with a Japanese singer named Keizo Nakanishi. Her first mainstream song in the US, was reflection, and from there her career took off. With the release of her second album, Stripped, Christina began to seem more like a strip-er despite her enormous talent. They outfits got risque, as did the lyrics. She even adopted the nickname xtina, tattooing it on the back of her neck. Tramp stamps and all, Christina is still an amazing singer, which is why I believe, she is one of the most revered of the pop 90's stars. As I was listening to her the past week, I noticed that a lot of her lyrics are very empowering for women, much like the lyrics of the Spice Girls were meant to be. Total, she recording six albums (including a Christmas album -which I own- and a Spanish album), and was nominated for 18 Grammy Awards. So yeah, Christina is cool in my book, and I think this has caused me to want to start listening to her even more...maybe I'll even buy Back to Basics...probably not.

Playlist
  1. Come on Over (All I Want is Youn)
  2. Reflection
  3. I Turn to You
  4. What a Girl Wants
  5. Can't Hold Us Down
  6. Fighter
  7. Beautiful
  8. The Voice Within
  9. Ain't No Other Man
  10. CandyMan
Instead of doing before and after pictures, I have decided to do before and after videos

Christina at nine (jesus!)



Unfortunately, I couldn't find the official Candyman video that I was allowed to embed so here's a live version. But I like the video so click here to check it out

No comments: