Monday, September 8, 2008

I Told Jay I Did a Song With Coldplay

On Kanye West's tribute (?) to Jay-Z, "Big Brother", he recites the line, "I told Jay I did a song with Coldplay/ next thing I know he got a song with Coldplay/ Back of my mind I'm like 'Damn, no way,'/ translate Espanol, 'No way, Jose.'" Now, this song in general confuses me because I don't understand if Kanye West is praising Jay-Z or at times insulting his integrity. I am leaning toward the former but check out the lyrics and you decide for yourself (and don't cheat using song meanings)

The other thing that confused me about this song is that I didn't recall Jay-Z or Kanye West doing a song with Coldplay so I did a little further investigation and found the following:

The song that Kanye West is referring to is not actually a song with Coldplay, but rather "Homecoming," featuring Chris Martin of Coldplay. I have the CD but I never bothered to look at the cover art (because I don't particularly like Kanye West, the person, too much). So, I never knew that this was Christ Martin. Anyway, here's the music video- seeing the two of them on camera is kind of interesting, but I think the video and song are quite good (note Chris Martin's hand dancing, as seen on Viva La Vida):




Now, for Jay-Z's song with Coldplay, that took a bit more work, because I had actually never heard the song before. But, the song is "Beach Chair," also featuring Chris Martin, not the whole band. This is not the official video, but here's the song:




Stylistically and musically, I like Jay-Z and Kanye West equally. Personality wise, I like Jay-Z a lot more than Kanye West. But when it comes to their songs featuring Chris Martin, I think Kanye's is best. So, Homecoming is Song of the Day.

No comments: