Thursday, September 4, 2008

Australian Music

In the past few days I have been thinking immensely about where I want to study abroad. Due to the fact that the only languages I ever studied are now "dead" (although, Dr. Henry V. Bender would disagree), I am stuck going to an English-speaking country. In reality, most countries speak English and I think I should be rewarded with the opportunity to study wherever I like, but Penn seems to disagree with me. I thought England- but I would only want to be in London- and I've been there before and I didn't think it was all that great. Scotland and New Zealand were always pretty much out of the question and I finally decided on Australia. Where in Australia you may ask? Melbourne!


So, I've been thinking about how I will acclimate to a new country and of course the music of the country was going to be pretty important. I know American music is all around the world, but I wanted to know more about the music of that country. So I sat down to make a list of music I knew from Australia and came up with the following:

  1. Yothu Yindi
I studied them last year and I think they're actually pretty sweet but slightly dated. So, I headed to good old Wikipedia and extended my list to include:

  1. AC/DC
  2. Savage Garden
  3. The Bee Gees (sort of)
  4. The Loved Ones (Melbourne!)
The List is much more extensive, but these are really the only people I knew, so forgive me Aussies. When I return, I will know more about your music, I promise.

So, in honor of my hopeful study abroad location, as well as the handful of international readers of my blog, today's song of the day will be......

Back In Black- AC/DC



It was a difficult decision, but 90's pop week wasn't too long ago and I don't want you to hate me too much. I do love Savage Garden though.

No comments: