Thursday, July 3, 2008

Song of the Day

You know when you have that song stuck in your head and you hear it like first thing in the morning but you can't stop singing it? Or, how about when there's that one song that fits your mood entirely- so much that it could be your theme song of the day?

Well, that's why I am starting song of the day. Some posts will be long and some will be short, some songs will be new, and many will probably be old. I will add a comments box so that if you would like to post your song of the day, you can feel free. Have no fear, I will continue to write reviews, previews, and all that other good stuff but I just thought this would be fun. I'll try to get to it everyday, but if I don't please don't crucify me...or call the cops...
they've been looking for me

So, all that to say, today's song of the day is.....
A-Punk by Vampire Weekend

I know what you're thinking- "Ashley, you've already talked about Vampire Weekend and this song"- but I don't care.

This is a great song and the best part about it is the masterfully crafted song length. The first time I heard this song was on the radio, and I was pissed because I thought that once again, the radio had shorted me (no height jokes). But after I downloaded A-Punk, I learned that the entire song is only two minutes and seventeen seconds long. This is like the shortest song every, at least to be played on the radio. At first I hated the short length but I think I've figured it out: If you make a very catchy song, very short, people will listen to it 10 times in a row, literally. I cannot listen to this song just once. Every time I hear it, I play it at least 4 times. So, congratulations to you Vampire Weekend for making the sweetest, shortest, catchiest song I've ever heard




one more thing...I've been looking at all these profiles for Vampire Weekend and people keep describing them as "afro pop"...what is that? I mean I know where Africa is..and I know pop music...but what makes 4 Columbia grads "Afro Pop"? Is it because they have drums or is it the yelp/chanting? That's culturally insensitive.


No comments: