Monday, July 28, 2008

Ratatat

I came across Ratatat at work last week but there is no sound on my old school computer there so I had to wait until I got home to listen to them and I think they're pretty neat. Ratatat is a Brooklyn duo, specializing in electronica. They've been described as Neptunes-esque but I don't think they sound like the Neptunes at all. Currently signed with XL Recordings (Vampire Weekend, MIA, The White Stripes) , they released their third studio album, LP3, this July. Recorded in the mystic, Old Soul Studio, LP3 has a different feel than their previous albums. Abandoning synth-influenced guitar sounds, for a more organic feel, guitarist Matt Stroud worked on refining his technique. Multi-instrumentalist, Evan Mast took advantage of Old Soul Studio, utilizing the various organs and harpsichords that the studio had to offer.

What I love about Ratatat, and all electronica for that matter is that the albums aren't specifically concept albums, but they always play all the way through. It's so easy to listen to the entire album without interruption. Today's song of the day is "Mirando."

The question always remains: can the studio performance be transformed into a compelling live performance? You be the judge

Mirando Video



Mirando Live

No comments: