Thursday, May 29, 2008

Music Therapy

So, to cut to the chase, I am not in a great mood today...but no need to get into the details. What I have noticed in my current state, however, is that music is one of the only things that can make me feel better. For some people, it's opera, for others it's hip-hop and yet for others, it is death metal. Everyone has some sort of music that acts as a panacea for any problem. My particular remedy really depends on my mood and today it came in the form of Elliott Smith's "Shooting Star." Unfortunately, my great friend Youtube has failed me and I can't find the song there but have no fear...I stole it from someone's imeem so here's the song

"Shooting Star" is one of the most hauntingly beautiful songs ever. The razor sharp instrumentation is disturbing and comforting at the same time. No matter what mood I am in, "Shooting Star" always seems to change my mindset. From his last album, From a Basement on a Hill, "Shooting Star" was one of the final songs that Smith recorded. When I first heard the song, the beginning especially drove me up the wall...I thought it was the worst thing ever but as I became more familiar with his music, I began to consider it to be one of his best pieces. By the time the drums come in, about 18 seconds into the song, you can't help but
feel the music. Smith's Hendrix style guitar riffs in the intro augment the emotion of the already compelling song. While Smith is most notably recognized for his songwriting, in this song, the lyrics don't even matter that much to me. Don't get me wrong, "Shooting Star" is no exception to his natural gift for songwriting but the music is so powerful that it almost overpowers the words. The lyrics don't begin until one minute into the song, and by then I've already had a musical orgasm. I really don't have many words to describe the song with the merit it deserves but if you listen to it, you will instantly know.

By now, you have already probably listened to the song but I have some suggestions to listening. That's right, there is a certain way that it should be listened to:

If you download the song, which I hope that you do, I suggest listening to it with headphones on. It's a completely different experience. With headphones, the intro seems to move back and fourth between your ears, surrounding your brain with musical greatness. If you don't have headphones, and even with them, it is crucial that you listen to the sound as loud as possible.

No comments: