Saturday, May 24, 2008

Dr. Dog

Dr. Dog first caught my attention when I saw their bizarre flyer at World Cafe Live. Under their name, I saw the words, "Philadelphia's Own" and I decided to check out their music. Upon further investigation, I discovered that this five-piece collective was not only from Philadelphia, but that they were from my own hood in West Philadelphia!

So, who is Dr. Dog?

Dr. Dog is a psychedelic, pop-rock, band from from West Philadelphia. I know what you're thinking...did you say psychedelic and West Philadelphia in the same sentence? Yes, yes I did. Heavily influenced by 1960's pop bands, Dr. Dog has a truly unique sound for this age. After touYour Hands Say Yeah, Dr. Dogg, My Morning Jacket, Stephen Malkmus, Tapes 'n Tapes, Wakarusa, Ween, World Cafe Livering with My Morning Jacket and later with Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Dr. Dog's fan base began to expand exponentially, earning them stage time at the Bonnaroo Music Festival in 2005 and 2007. This summer, Dr. Dog will travel to Kansas for the newly instated new, yet well established, Wakarusa Music Festival.




Riding high on the success of their four previous albums, Dr. Dog will release their fifth album, Fate, on July 22.

Sounds like: Tapes'n Tapes, Ween, Stephen Malkmus
Favorite Song: Heart It Races

No comments: