Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Music taste...


I love all music.
Music has the ability to speak to people in a way that no other art form can. It makes us feel as if we have done something or been somewhere before even though we know it is our first time. My music taste is very disparate.

I'm not going to lie..when I was younger, I loved the Spice Girls and 'Nsync- but that was all a part of growing up as a girl in the 90's. As I entered middle school, I realized it was no longer acceptable to be obsessed with 20-year-old men and I developed an appreciation for alternative rock, fascinated with bands such as Nirvana and Rage Against the Machine. In high school, I gained an interest in hip-hop, after purchasing Jay-Z's "The Black Album." During my Sophomore year, I attended an Andrew Norsworthy show that would forever change the way that I looked at music. I realized that music was more than a performance or a recording. Each performance induces an experience that can only be achieved once and that's the beauty of the art.

My college life in Philadelphia has taught me to embrace all music. Such a diverse city, Philadelphia has so much to offer, from electronica and hip-hop to folk-rock and the blues. I LOVE THE MUSIC OF THIS CITY! As I've matured, I've realized that my music taste has developed as well. However, I am not embarrassed by any of the music that I used to listen to because it was all a part of my journey toward self-discovery. I still listen to pop and hip-hop because they are so much a part of me. When I listen to some of my favorite songs, it brings back memories, in a way that only music can.

As you will see throughout my blog, I now listen to all sorts of music and have a true passion for writing about it.

Stay tuned and I will rock your world!

No comments: