Friday, May 16, 2008

Xponential 2008


This year's Xponential Festival is destined to be the best yet!
...for me anyway

Dave Barnes!
Need I say more?
For those of you who don't know, Dave Barnes is an incredibly talented singer-songwriter from Tennessee. Recently married, many of his songs are love ballads but he mixes it up with upbeat tunes about life in general. Despite his charm, Barnes boasts an equally male and female audience. An underground artist for most of his career, Barnes has recently shared some airtime on
MTV's TRL and MTVU's The Freshman, with his release, "Until You." I have been trying to see Dave Barnes play for the past two years but because of his underground status, he never really made it to the east coast. The past year, he came to New York but for a 21+ show. While a fake ID seemed like a good idea, standing 4'10 and looking like a 15- year- old, I knew I could never pass. But FINALLY, I will have the chance to see Dave live. More to come about Dave Barnes in future blogs but I had to mention this.

So if Dave Barnes wasn't enough, Joan Osborne will also be at
Xponential! Osborne is an incredibly talented songstress. I first came across Osborne in Standing in the Shadows of Motown (an excellent documentary). With her 2007 release, Breakfast in Bed,Osborne is certain to add a soulful mix to the otherwise rock-based Xponential.

Speaking of soul, Philadelphia based group, The Hustle will also appear at
Xpoenential. I've seen these guys perform twice and they embody everything that Philadelphia is about. Musically and culturally diverse, The Hustle has a variety of influences that contribute to their unique sound. I can honestly say they are the only group like this in Philadelphia, and possibly even in the country. Fusing instruments as disparate as a turntable, keyboard, and saxophone, the sound of The Hustle is nearly indescribable. Led by a musically gifted MC, The Hustle is sure to rock Xponential.

If those three acts aren't convincing enough for you, the following will also perform at
Xponential '08:
The Brakes
The
Redwalls
Michel
Franti & Spearhead
and Amos Lee

The Essentials:
Dates: July 10-13
Location: Wiggins Park, Camden Waterfront (Camden NJ- near the
Aquarium/ Tweeter)
Cost: TBA on sale May 22 for non-
XPNmembers
Lots of Green (not that kind of Green):


So yeah, come out! I went last year and it was a lot of fun...the food is good too
If you meet me there, you can join my quest to stalk meet Dave Barnes




No comments: