Friday, November 13, 2009

Chariot Stripped- Gavin Degraw

I have this terrible habit of buying a CD when it first comes out and then listening to that CD only for the next 4-5 months. I guess you could call it devotion...but it's borderline obsession and I'm not sure that it's healthy. Back around 2003 or 2004, Gavin Degaw's "I Don't Want To Be," hit the radio and was an instant hit. A few people doubted his success and thought he would be a one-hit wonder, until his second single, "Chariot" debuted. After hearing the first single, I convinced my mom to buy me the "Chariot Deluxe Edition" which included two albums: "Chariot" and "Chariot Stripped"

Now I must say, had I only heard "Chariot," I probably would not have been a Gavin Degraw fan. But after hearing the first song on "Chariot Stripped," I was instantly hooked. Soon, my roommates began to love Gavin as well-- mostly because it was only music I would allow to be played aloud in our room.

But this evening, I had "Follow Through" stuck in my head and I turned to "Chariot Stripped" for the first time in probably 2 years and I don't know why I ever stopped listening.

This album is truly outstanding. The highlight for me is his cover of Sam Cooke's "A Change is Going to Come." He also does a fantastic cover of "A Song for You."




Anyway, the point of this post was to get you all to check out "Chariot Stripped." I promise you won't be disappointed!

As for Gavin's follow-up albums, "Gavin Degraw," and "Free" (a deceiving name for a $9.99 album), I was less than impressed. But "Chariot Stripped" is truly a gem and I highly recommend buying this one.

No comments: